Working in a commercial kitchen is exciting, but it also leads to an increased risk of injury or accidents when working around heavy machinery, sharp knives, and hot ovens. Even if you work in a kitchen every day, it’s a great idea to refresh your memory with these commercial kitchen safety tips.
Preventing Cuts and Lacerations
Knives and other sharp tools are very dangerous, and not following the proper commercial kitchen safety tips can hurt your employees. Some of the best ways to avoid cuts and punctures include:
- Tuck your fingers around the handle of the knife when cutting
- Always use a cutting board on a flat, dry surface when you are chopping food
- Sharpen knives regularly and never use dull knives or those with chips in the blade
- Only use knives in a well-lit space
- Use the most appropriate knife for what you are cutting
Avoiding Slips and Falls
Slip and fall accidents are common in all businesses where there is excess moisture or smooth, hard flooring. Some of our best commercial kitchen safety tips to avoid slips and trips around your workplace include:
- Never carry too many things at once or boxes and equipment that might obstruct your view as you walk
- Clean up all spills immediately
- Use proper signage to denote slick areas of the floor and places where other people should be careful walking
- Ensure that all employees follow your dress code who are working in the kitchen or walk through the kitchen, including things like non-slip shoes
To Prevent Burns
Another common type of commercial kitchen injury is burns. Unfortunately, these injuries can be challenging to avoid when working with fryers, flat-top grills, and other hot equipment. Some of the best commercial kitchen safety tips for this part of the kitchen include:
- Always wait for the oil to cool before getting rid of it or swapping it out
- Use potholders or oven mitts when touching hot pans or cleaning hot equipment
- Never wear things with long sleeves or baggy clothing when using the fryer
- Clean your stove and grill regularly
Contact Pine Heights Commercial Kitchen Service, Inc.
Since 1971, Pine Heights Commercial Kitchen Service, Inc., has been the leader in Commercial Kitchen Equipment Services in the greater Baltimore Metropolitan area. We specialize in Restaurant Equipment Repair Services, Commercial Refrigeration, Preventive Maintenance, in-shop repairs, and over-the-counter parts.
At Pine Heights, our motto is simple: “Quality Service for Less.” We provide the highest level of commercial maintenance for a competitive rate. We are veteran and family-owned and operated and located in Baltimore at 2900 West Patapsco Ave., Baltimore, MD 21230.
If you are ready for reliable Commercial Kitchen Equipment Services in Maryland, contact us today by phone, fax, or at our Baltimore location! Also, keep in touch with us on Facebook and Twitter!