A walk-in fridge or freezer is essential to many businesses, especially those that work on a large scale or who have a lot of cold items on the menu. Refrigerators and freezers help restaurants and other establishments on a large scale. As we appreciate how well these appliances help us out, we ought to know how to maintain a walk-in cooler so that it can perform its work as well as possible for as long as possible.
Stick to a Schedule
The first principle to follow is to create a maintenance schedule for your walk-in cooler. It helps to write out the exact schedule with all the tasks included so that there are no mistakes about what to do and when. You can also assign the work to specific employees, so there is no mistake about who needs to do it, too. Once the schedule is laid out, be sure to keep yourself accountable to follow through!
Practice Good Habits Daily
How you treat your walk-in cooler will directly affect how long it lasts. If you are gentle with it, for example, the door is less likely to break. That being said, these habits are some to practice:
- Do not open the door unnecessarily or for extended periods
- Install the cooler so that it has enough ventilation around it
- Keep the contents organized
- Clean up spills at once
Clean the Walk-In Cooler Routinely
Cleaning might be simple, but it does wonders in helping your walk-in cooler last as long as possible. There are multiple levels of walk-in cooler maintenance to put on your commercial kitchen staff’s schedule:
- Daily cleanup: At closing time, you will need to wipe down all surfaces and sweep and mop the floor. Remember the door gasket and handles. Use mild detergent, water, and non-abrasive cleaning tools to preserve the metal surfaces.
- Periodically: Every month or so, vacuum the debris in and around the freezer. You may need to unplug the appliance to conserve energy.
- Once a year: Perform a deep cleaning. Sanitize the walk-in cooler inside and out. Contact a company like Pine Heights to check the water line and drainage for problems.
Contact Pine Heights Commercial Kitchen Service, Inc.!
Since 1971, Pine Heights Commercial Kitchen Service, Inc., has been the leader in Commercial Kitchen Equipment Services in the greater Baltimore Metropolitan area. We specialize in Restaurant Equipment Repair Services, Commercial Refrigeration, Preventive Maintenance, in-shop repairs, and over-the-counter parts.
At Pine Heights, our motto is simple: “Quality Service for Less.” We provide the highest level of commercial maintenance for a competitive rate. We are veteran and family-owned and operated and located in Baltimore at 2900 West Patapsco Ave., Baltimore, MD 21230.